Monday, January 23, 2012

OK....Some Meat

In my first blog I said "no meat". Dr Fuhrman  prefers no meat but after the first six weeks he does allow up to 12 ozs a week . This is what Kenny and I have been doing. Usually we save our meat until the week end. The only red meat I eat is filet.  I know it is best to have no red meat but sometimes I just want a good steak.  We have grilled fish and grilled chicken in 4 oz servings. That is 3 times a week. Some weeks I haven't even eaten the whole 12 ounces. Eating less meat has been a lot easier than I ever thought it would be.   Dr. Furhman says to think of meat as a condiment.

Portabella Mushrooms are a wonderful substitute for meat.  I spray them with grape seed oil and sprinkle with salt free steak seasoning and cook on the grill or on my George Foreman grill.   Grape seed oil is a healthier choice than olive oil.  I have a spray container I picked up at a kitchen store that I can put my own oil in.   Grape seed oil is very light.

I feel like I am a test kitchen. Today I made up a recipe.  It turned out pretty good. Kenny liked them. He even passed on his chocolate ice cream tonight.
I don't know what to name them. Give me suggestions.

Recipe of the Day

No Name Mini Muffins

1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
6 dates
1 large apple
1 tbs. Cocoa
1  tsp. vanilla

Puree dates and apple with milk in blender. Add vanilla and cocoa. In bowl mix other ingredients. Add liquid and stir. Spray and fill mini muffin pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.   Makes 24 mini muffins.

I patted the mixture in the pan level full.  

Food for Thought

"Instead of searching for weight loss gimmicks and tricks, adopt a resolution to be healthy. Focusing on your health, not on your weight , will eventually result in long term weight loss.  Eating a healthy diet, one rich in an assortment of natural plant fibers, will help you crave less and feel satisfied without overeating."  (Dr. Fuhrman - Eat to Live)

No comments:

Post a Comment