Saturday, February 4, 2012

Knowing When You Are Really Sick

Wednesday night a week and a half ago I got a sore throat, by Thursday morning the pain was so horrible I couldn't stand it. I was in the doctor's office by 9:00. I saw the PA and she said it looked like a small ulcer in the very back of my throat. She called in a prescription for a mouthwash to use. The pain remained unbelievable all day. Around 4:00 I called back and she called in an antibiotic. When Kenny got home from work I had started having chills, a fever and my blood pressure and heart rate had gone up. He wanted me to go to the ER but Urgent Care was still open so we went there. The doctor took one look and said I needed to go to the hospital for a CT scan and antibiotics by IV. It turned out it was an abscess on my tonsil. A condition that can turn very dangerous. The reason for telling all this is because you know your body better than anyone and if you feel something is not right don't be afraid to insist something is wrong. Also do research on the Internet. It helps to be aware of what it might be. I definitely learned that with Kenny's illness in October.

The diet is still going well. This week I joined Pinterest. I couldn't imagine what all the excitement was about. I have found out. I am finding a huge source of healthy recipes. The test kitchen will be open to try some and change them to make them fit the way I eat. I love the challenge of making them healthier. I purchased a new book on iBooks last night. The name of it is "Going Raw" by Judita Wignall. it is very interesting reading. She takes eating vegetables a bit further. I will stick to Dr. Fuhrman's plan. Reading her book is helping enforce what I have learned from Dr. Fuhrman.

I read an article this week attaching green smoothies and how unhealthy they are.  Anything done in excess can be unhealthy.   However, I still support that it is a very healthy way to start my day.  Following is part of an article I found in support of green smoothies.

Nutrient Absorption



Vegetables are packed full of vitamins, minerals and omega 3's, making them nutrient-dense foods. Green, leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale and lettuce are especially nutrient dense, making them good components of a green smoothie. By pureeing, or juicing, the vegetables in the blender, nutrients are released from within their encapsulated cellulose walls and are easily absorbed into the bloodstream. A related benefit is that consuming a green smoothie not only provides the body with a good supply of nutrients, it also helps to curb junk-food cravings.


Recipe of the Day:
White Bean Chicken Chili
2 (13 oz) cans of chicken breast drained
1 bag navy beans
1 Jar of Harris Teeter Naturals Organic mild salsa
1/2 (32 oz) box low sodium organic chicken broth (I used vegetable broth)
2 cups 2% sharp cheddar cheese (I used Vegan Cheddar Cheese)
2 slices of 2%  provolone cheese
1 TBSP cumin
1 bag of organic blue corn tortilla chips

Soak the beans then cook until they are so soft they bust open.
Drain beans completely.
Add all the ingredients together in a big pot and heat til hot.
Serve with chips or eat alone like chili.

So easy and so tasty. 


1 comment:

  1. A homemade green smoothie is definitely good for you, because you went from never eating breakfast and never eating any green vegetables to starting your day with a green breakfast! Definitely an improvement on your nutrition.

    ReplyDelete