Sunday, January 15, 2012

Wow, I Would Have Never Thought

Wow, I never would have thought I would have something that I felt strongly enough to blog about.  I am in my fifties and overweight, but fairly healthy.  A few months back while my husband was in the hospital my daughter suggested a book for me to read.  Since I had the time, I started to read Eat to Live by Dr. Furhman.  I couldn't put it down and it changed the way I have always looked at food.  I laugh and tell everyone it must have hypnotized me because otherwise I would have put the book down and said he is crazy to think that I could eat that way.  Seeing my husband in intensive care also made me think I never want to end up in a a place like that.  That isn't why he was there, but I could see that the way I eat could be the reason I would end up there.

So, three months and 17lbs ago, I took a step to change the way I eat.  I have tried different diets my entire life.  I have done them all.  They work for a little while and I would lose weight only to put it back on and more each time.  I have never loved green vegetables, but I loved the starchy ones and, of course, I had to have some kind of meat at every meal.  I have never been one to snack or eat very large quantities so I couldn't understand why I have always had a weight problem.  It wasn't how much but what I was eating.

I am really enjoying cooking, and I do cook just about everything from scratch on Dr. Furhman's diet.  Everything already prepared has too much salt or they always have to slip in some sugar.  I like playing with recipes to make them fit the nutritarian diet.

To explain nutritarian diet:  Not vegan, not vegetarian, but nutritarian.

I don't really want to start with what I can't have because that sounds negative so this is what I can have.  Lots of raw or cooked vegetable.  Every fruit you can think of, which has totally helped me drop all sweets.  Legumes and nuts.

Now what I no longer need in my diet....Dairy, Flour, Sugar, Salt, and drum roll please -  the shock of all shocks....Meat.

This is enough  for today.  I will be posting recipes and telling more of my story later. 

1 comment:

  1. If you want the book Eat To Live and don't want to wait another second I saw it at Books A Million in New Bern.

    ReplyDelete