Friday, January 20, 2012

My New Best Friend


Legumes are my new best friend.  These are delicious and keep me very full.  My whole dieting life I have stayed away from beans.  I thought they were a starch and would cause weight gain.  Now I find out that they can actually help me lose weight. and are my best source for protein.  Lentils are my favorite.  They are the fastest to cook and you can add many different things to them.  There are so many different kinds of legumes that you can never get bored eating them.  I usually buy dry beans and soak them.  When you purchase canned products they are full of sodium.  

My daughter suggests Chick peas as a snack.  Chick peas just rinsed and eaten taste a lot like boiled peanuts.  They make a very heathy snack.  Eat all you want.  There are no limits on Legumes.

Recipe of the Day     

Italian Lentils  (My Recipe)

1 bag of lentils
1 large can of organic low sodium chopped tomatoes
1 large green pepper (cut chunky)
1 large onion (cut chunky)
2 cloves of garlic
Salt free Italian seasoning
Organic Vegetable Broth

Cook until tender.


Coming soon....White Bean Chili

Food for thought:

"Maybe if high blood pressure medications had never been invented, doctors would have been forced to teach healthful living and nutritional disease causation to their patients.  It is possible that maybe more lives  could have been saved."  (Dr. Fuhrman - Eat to Live)

2 comments:

  1. Coincidentally I have a pot of lentil chili on the stove, the book reminded me of when I would fix this years ago. I plan to freeze meal size portions and add extra veggies later--I think diced squash would be good--possibly greens.

    Tomorrow I thought I would experiment with cooking and freezing salad greens from the garden with just ham flavoring.

    Tried the choc ice cream 1. try #1 I had one banana frozen and added some frozen cantelope left from the garden--my blender didn't like to cut the dates. I thought it was really good.
    #2 I followed the recipe starting with chopped dates and soy milk--again really good but I don't know that I even need the dates. #3 in the future I wonder if I bought a pineapple and froze if that would be a good combination.

    This is fun Jane--love what you are doing here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I like new ideas. I will try some of those. I tried blending with a regular blender this week while I was out of town. The Vita Mix makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete