Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Some Negatives But Focus on the Positives

I have never been a big fan of breakfast.  Most days I just wouldn't eat anything.   On this program I drink a green smoothie every morning which is great.  They vary in what I have in them.  I like to make big batches then freeze them so all I have to do is thaw them out to have one.  I always have spinach and romaine in them.   When I can remember to buy it I add Kale.  That is a good healthy dose of greens to start the day off.  I mix in different fruits.  2 , 3 or as many as 6,  just whatever I have on hand at the time.  Pears are great at covering up any of the green taste.  The smoothie I had this morning was spinach, romaine, cranberries, pineapple and apples.    Add a tablespoon of flax seed.  Very tasty. 

There is also no caffeine, Dr. Fhurman doesn't even like caffeine free coffee.  I know there are a lot of coffee lovers out here right now trembling thinking they could never give up coffee or caffeine.  Fortunately  for me I have never been dependent on either.  If i had a strong dose of caffeine I honestly believe it would kill me.  My body wouldn't know what to do.  I never thought Kenny would give up coffee but when he was sick he didn't drink any so as he got better and we were on this plan he didn't go back to drinking it.  I am very proud of him.  That is a hard habit to break.

I will alternate something positive with something that most would think is a negative.  Coffee was  the negative, here is the positive.  I have never been hungry, not even once.  The first six weeks he asks that you only eat the three meals, nothing in between.  As I stated yesterday, no big deal for me because I don't eat many snacks anyway.  I can't even eat all that he wants me to eat so I can't possibly get hungry. 

No diet sodas or artificial sweeteners.  Basically all I drink is water and some herb tea.  He doesn't promote any sugar, natural or otherwise.  I use dates to sweeten anything I have sweet now.  My big cheat is that I usually add some honey to my herb tea.

A friend said there was no way she could eat this way with all the Legumes.  Too much gas.....Actually NO GAS.  I was going to the doctor in two weeks when I started the plan to see if my acid reflux was better.  If not, she was going to order a test.  After eating the new way only two weeks, all my acid reflux was gone and I have had NO problems with gas.  (A little too much information for my comfort but this is something people are concerned about.

Today I have a physical and I can't wait to see my numbers.  The last time she checked my blood, I had only been on the plan two weeks and my cholesterol had dropped 27 points. 

Recipe of the Day


Chocolate Ice Cream  (Mine is more like a chocolate milk shake.)  Makes two

2 bananas  (frozen)
5 dates (Pitted)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon of cocoa

Blend  ( I have a vitamix but a regular blender would work)

Mine are usually milkshakes because most of the time my bananas aren't frozen so I add ice.  The good  thing with that, is it makes more.  :)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people may need 2 weeks for their body to adjust to all the beans if they aren't used to digesting them. Stick it out. It's not the beans fault. They are healthy. It's our American processed food diet. We are digesting food that is already broken down for us. Our body doesn't have to work to digest it. Thankfully your body will retrain itself and heal itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, I am finding this very interesting and bought the book this am--kindle so I can start reading. Did not know you could freeze the juice--very helpful.

    ReplyDelete