Saturday, March 29, 2014

Recipe of the Day

No thoughts today....just a very tasty recipe. Enjoy !!

I had a delicious meal a couple of weeks ago in Asheville, NC.  It is a great place to get vegetarian meals.  However, even with vegetarian you have to be careful.  They can still be loaded with fat and be very bad for you.  The meal I had inspired me to work up my own healthy version.  It turned out to be very delicious.  I learned of a new grain that I had not experienced before,  Farro.  The restaurant used it instead of Risotto.  Risotto is an Italian rice dish cooked in broth to a creamy consistency.
"Farro Is fairly new to American cooks (including me!), but Italians have been eating it for more than 2,000 years. I love the hearty nuttiness that the healthful whole grain adds to everything from salad to soups -- and it makes me feel great, too!"
-- Seamus Mullen, Chef at New York City's Tertulia and Author of Hero Food


Fiber Fix
A cup of faro has about 8 grams of cholesterol-lowering fiber. That's four times as much as white rich; brown rice weighs in at around 5 grams.
Chill Pill
Whole grains like faro are full of minerals, including magnesium, which may relieve tension and menstrual cramps.
Smart Carb
Farro's complex carbs break down slowly, keeping your energy level stable. The grain also has cyanogenic glucosides, a type of carb that may boost the immune system.

Ok, enough of that, but it explains why I am excited to find out about Farro.  Now, back to the recipe.   :)

Name....Mushroom Dish???

Cook Farro according to package directions.
8 ozs. of thinly sliced organic mushrooms.
1 organic onion sliced
1/2 cup of sundried tomatoes 
1 cup of organic low sodium vegetable broth

Sauté on high for 5 to 10 minutes until most of liquid is gone.
 






Top with Cream Sauce.


Cream Sauce
Blend 1 cup of cashews, 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 2 cloves of fresh garlic, 1 tablespoon of onion flakes until smooth.  Add as much milk as you like until it's a consistency you like for a cream sauce.  I added more milk a little at the time until it was the way I like it.

Top Farro with vegetables and then top with cream sauce.  Enjoy.


This cream sauce can be used on any thing that calls for cream sauce and it is so healthy.







Next, I will be making homemade vegan cheese.  Hope  it's good.

P.S.  Guess I did add some thoughts.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment