Saturday, March 3, 2012

Reflections Don't Lie

As I was going into a building this week and saw my reflection, it made me realize that the windows had not been lying.  In the past, I would look while walking in a door or by a building with big windows and think, wow, that window really makes me look big.  I knew I had put on weight.  It happened slowly over time.  I would look at other people that were a lot bigger than me and be thankful I was not that big.   But, I was too big and on the road to becoming very unhealthy.  When a small person put on five pounds, panicked and told me she needed to lose weight, I would think how crazy it sounded because it was only 5 pounds.  It is much easier to lose 5 pounds than 50 pounds.
 For the next 6 weeks, I have decided to try and not eat any meat at all.  We are going on a trip in April and I would like to lose at least 5 more pounds before then.  I have lost 23 so far.  It really isn't hard at all to give up meats.  I have no craving for meat or sweets.  I ate a small piece of my grandson's birthday cake on Sunday. It was made with a gluten free recipe.  I had to scrape the icing off and it still tasted too sweet to me.  My friend was telling me yesterday of the two cakes she had made. She apologized and said she shouldn't be telling me about the cake she had at dinner.  I told her it was fine because it really doesn't bother me at all.

So...if you pass a window and catch a glimpse of yourself and think "my that makes me look big" remember reflections don't lie.  :)  We just lie to ourselves.


Food for Thought:

If you don't like water you will like this new rule.  Provided you eat right.  :)

Old Rule: Drink eight glasses of water a day.
New Rule: Eat your water.

The recommendation to chug all that H2O was likely based on guidelines published in 1945. However, says Howard Murad, MD, author of The Water Secret, much of your daily requirement is contained in foods: Fruits, vegetables, beans, and cooked whole grains like oatmeal and quinoa (which soak up moisture in the pot) all deliver servings of water. And, as Murad points out, they offer the added bonus of nutrients: "Watermelon and cucumber are more than 90 percent water, but they also contain antioxidants. With a glass of water, all you get is water." You'll know you're hydrated when your urine is colorless or pale yellow and you're rarely thirsty.

This was a great article, check it out at  http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/4-health-rules-break-today-160000576.html.  If it isn't a click link copy and paste it.

Recipe of the Day:

Cucumber Salad (My Recipe)



Used 1/2 of onion





Love this vinegar, very light.






3        Long Cucumbers
2        cups of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/2    cup Pear Infused Vinegar
1       cup diced carrots
1/2    chopped onion
5       dates
1/4    tsp dried rosemary

Puree' vinegar and dates together.  Combine chopped vegetables, add rosemary and toss with dressing.  Chill 

I plan to eat this today in a pita with romaine lettuce.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment